Revatio (Sildenafil) is an oral drug, used to treat the symptoms of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Revatio belongs to a class of phosphodiesterase inhibitors.
Revatio is used to treat pulmonary hypertension by widening blood vessels.
Also it may be used in other conditions as your doctor prescribes.
Dosage and Administration
Revatio should be taken orally without regard to meals.
Pulmonary arterial hypertension:
The recommended initial adult dose for patients is 20 mg 3 times a day. The period between doses 4-6 hours. Therapy should be individualized according to goal of therapy and response.
If you miss a dose, take this medicine as soon as possible. Then go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Warning and Precautions
Do not use Revatio if:
- You have an unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines
- You are taking Amyl, Nitrite, Erythrityl, Tetranitrate, Isosorbide, Dinitrate, Isosorbide, Mononitrate, Molsidomine, Nitroglycerin, Nitroprusside, Pentaerythritol, Tetranitrate
- Pregnancy category B.
- You have such diseases as
- Age greater than 50 years or
- Coronary artery disease or
- Diabetes or
- Hyperlipidemia (excess of lipids in the blood) or
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) or
- Low cup to disc ratio (“crowded disc”) or
- Smoking – These conditions may increase risk for a serious eye problem called NAION.
- Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat) or
- Coronary artery disease or
- Heart attack, history of (within the last 6 months) or
- High blood pressure or
- Low blood pressure or
- Stroke, history of (within the last 6 months) – Chance of problems occurring may be increased.
- Abnormal penis, including curved penis and birth defects of the penis – Chance of problems occurring may be increased.
- Bleeding problems or
- Retinitis pigmentosa – Chance of problems occurring may be increased. It is not known if the medicine is safe for use in these patients.
- Conditions causing thickened blood or slower blood flow, including leukemia; multiple myeloma (tumors of the bone marrow); or polycythemia, sickle cell disease, and thrombocythemia (blood problems) or
- Priapism (history of) – Although sildenafil does not cause priapism (erection lasting longer than 6 hours), patients with these conditions have an increased risk of priapism and it could occur while using sildenafil.
- Heart or blood disease – Sexual activity increases the heart rate and blood flow and can increase the chance of problems occurring for some patients who use any type of medicine, including sildenafil, that increases sexual ability.
- Kidney problems (severe) or
- Liver problems (severe) – Chance of problems occurring may be increased. Lower starting doses may be used and doses increased as needed and as tolerated.
- NAION (serious eye condition) in one or both eyes, previously – may increase your chance of getting NAION again.
- Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs) – may make heart problems worse in patients with this serious condition.
Revatio is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensivity to any component of the formulation.
Along with desirable effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects
- arm or leg pain
- back pain
- difficulty sleeping
- flu-like symptoms
- muscle aches
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately.
Drug Abuse And Dependence
There is no information to indicate that abuse or dependency occurs with REVATIO.